top of page

5 documents your landlord must hand over to you (by law)

1. A copy of the Government’s rental guide

This guide sets out all the information you should be given as tenant, your legal rights and what to expect from the rental process: How to rent: The checklist for renting in England

2. A gas safety certificate

If your rental home has any gas installations (such as an oven), your landlord must arrange an initial gas safety check as conducted by a Gas Safe engineer – and provide you with a certificate. If they don't you can report them to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

3. The paperwork protecting your deposit

Your landlord must hold your deposit in a government-backed Tenancy Deposit Scheme, so you'll be protected if there's any disputes at the end of the tenancy. You’ll be given the paperwork for the scheme which should clearly state the sum being held.

4. An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

This certificate rates the energy-efficiency of your rental home, from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient). Find out how to read an EPC.

5. Relevant contact details

Your landlord (or lettings agent acting on behalf of the landlord), should provide their full contact details including address and telephone number in case of an emergency.

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page